What, When, Where: Vertical Farming Conference, June 28, 2017, Villa Flora, Brightlands Campus Greenport Venlo, The Netherlands.
The Vertical Farming Conference is part of the first global Innovative Food-Agri Event – a two-day event (Jun 28-29, 2017) that includes 4 dedicated conferences and an exhibition:
- 3D FoodPrinting Conference (June 28, 2017)
- Vertical Farming Conference (June 28, 2017)
- Healthy Nutrition Conference, (June 29 2017)
- Smart Farming Conference (June 29, 2017)
- Smart Food Farming Expo (June 28-29, 2017)
Scope: The continually-growing world populations, the global trend to urbanisation, climate change and pressure on natural resources are key drivers for policies on global food security. Vertical farming is an innovative methodology for vertical cultivation of agricultural products, which can also realize true zero-mile city food supply. Vertical farms can be built in new or existing buildings and provide significant benefits in environmental sustainability and human health, minimizing the need for water and nutrients, and eliminating pesticides and fungicides, which are no longer needed.Vertical farming and urban agriculture, if designed and implemented appropriately, could offer sustainable and innovative solutions for improving food security.
What new business models will be successful, and will new players disrupt the traditional farming landscape? How can we feed more people on limited agricultural land, with limited resources? How can we best use space, light and logistics for an increasingly urban population? What can zero waste and low energy technologies contribute to food production in an urban environment? How to identify and develop innovative methods for sustainable food production? The conference will answer this kind of questions
- Available technologies (LED lighting, sensors, tiered growing systems, Big Data, Machine Learning/ Artificial Intelligence, etc)
- How to deal with change (from traditional farmer to vertical farmer)
- Cooperation / Sharing Information
- Public Skepticism / Consumer Response
- Architectural challenges
- Plant and crop science for improved resource-use efficiency (water, nutrients, waste)
- Sustainable Buildings (architectural design, green roof, energy, ventilation)
- Investment in research and development by growers and industry groups
- Economic, business and social issues
- Legal and Regulatory issues
- Cross disciplinary themes (challenges posed by resource limits, climate change and food production)
Target: (Vertical) Farmers, Growers | Agricultural industry | Urban planners | Architects | Technology suppliers (corporate, start-up) | System integrators | Governmental bodies (Local, Regional, National) | Project developers | Finance / Consulting | Food Logistics | anyone interested in vertical farming.
Get social! Be informed about the conference and the latest smart and vertical farming news. Follow @smartfarmevent